Fungal Nail Infection or ‘Onychomycosis’ is a chronic and difficult to treat infection of the nails. It is characterised by a thickening of the nail plate, debris under the nail, lifting of the edge of the nail and discolouration. It can be ugly and embarrassing, however it is a very common condition affecting the foot.
Fungal nail infection treatment using laser technology, is an effective and affordable treatment, giving long lasting results.
Causes of Fungal Nail Infection
- Exercise: Dermatophyte fungi live on the nail plate and repeated minor trauma permits the fungal organism to invade the nail plate and become established.
- Tight footwear which causes crowding of the toes, promoting fungal infection.
- Local warmth and humidity which favours the presence of fungus.
- Communal showers, where untreated fungal organisms can spread rapidly.
- Occupations requiring constant hand washing.
- Diseases that influence local and systemic immunity can predispose to onychomycosis, including diabetes mellitus, HIV, and peripheral ischemia.
Laser Technology for Fungal Nail Infection
Often this condition is left untreated for a long time, due to embarrassment or frustration by other treatment options – which are not working. Nail fungus removal often includes prescription medications, which can have side effects and therefore are not always the best treatment option.
Nail fungus treatment is also complicated by the fact that these fungi live in dead tissue, and getting medications to these sites is extremely difficult unless the medication is delivered orally
Laser technology is becoming very popular, due to the growing amount of research supporting laser therapy as an effective and long term treatment.
- The procedure is safe.
- There are no side effects.
- Both finger and toenails can be effectively treated.
- No anaesthesia is required.
- There is no visible harm to the treated nail or adjacent skin.
- Socks and shoes can be worn immediately after the procedure.
- Nail polish can be applied after treatment.
- There is no downtime after the procedure.
How Laser Technology for Fungal Nail Infection Works
The treatment works by passing a high energy laser beam through the nail, targeting the nail bed, to gently heat up the Fungi and interrupt the reproductive cycle of the spores. With repeated treatments the spores die and the healthy nail grows again. New nail can take between 6-12 months to grow
Treatments take around 15 – 30 minutes and should be repeated 4 times, every 4 weeks. There is no pain, just a gentle heating process until it is too uncomfortable then it stops.
See FAQs for more information
For more information on our laser treatment for fungal nail infection and how to treat nail fungus call us on 0413 349 810 or complete our online enquiry form